Sunday, August 15, 2010

Taking on the Town Times Two

Austin versus New Orleans. I don't even want to compare the fun times that we've had.

We had a fabulous last minute host in Austin, and we have a fabulous hostess here in New Orleans.

The heat is on as we wander the streets of both towns. Last night I was shocked to see the livelihood of a true Texan town. Tonight I am still up at 4 AM. I don't know what I'm running on, a set of breakfast tacos from a street cart and a vegetarian "po' boy" sure are helping.

Now I'm feeling like I'm on vacation more than "commuting" to my new home. With new friends and old alike, I'm loving the South despite the constraints of humidity and hundred degree days.

We hit a little rain today, the first semi-substantial showers of the journey. Overall, Texas was not a burden to conquer. I kept comparing it to Minnesota: lots of trees and plains. As we entered Louisiana, it became apparent that we were in a new world filled with bayous, BBQ, and sugar cane? Or at least that's what we identified the prolific crop to be.

I'm losing track of the days, but we survived Friday the 13th without disaster. Tomorrow, we'll try to explore the area a bit and either head out or hang tight.

Mileage today: 540
Total mileage count: 4365

No comments:

Post a Comment