Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Rocky Start to a Five Thousand Mile Trek

And she's off.

Kirforce is officially on her journey to North Carolina!

Anything that didn't fit in the hybrid Escape has a new life through the Gold Mine Thrift store, and decreasing my possessions has never felt so good.

Although I'm a bit of a hypocrite: I'm writing to you from my new Toshiba laptop. I haven't owned a new computer since 2003. This was an unexpected purchase but much needed retail therapy session after a bit of a scary scene in which Kirforce entered the freeway in Centralia, WA and proceeded to destroy her rear driver's side tire. Yikes.

Many thanks to WSDOT for saving this damsel in distress.

In my final "ski bumming" days I hiked, visited Redfish Lake, closed up the cafe and trained new workers, basked in the sun, and packed up my life.

First stop: Portland. I spent a night in this festive and familiar town, saying ta-ta as I will return in just two days for the third 2010 wedding and one of two that I get to represent at the altar. A stop in Hood River for dinner. Dusk in the Gorge. Memories of many drives along the Columbia River to lacrosse tournaments. 580 miles and a world away from the Sawtooth Mountains.

After that substantial start to my adventure, today should have been a breeze. 170 miles to A Lake Odyssey (Annemom's house). Unfortunately the flat tire hiccup made the trip much less enjoyable.

So first thing tomorrow, the hybrid is going in for a check-up. Crossing my fingers for good reports. Also on the itinerary: Pacific Northwest hike, family dinner.

Mileage count: 750
Day count: 2
Miles to go: approximately 4,230

1 comment:

  1. What a journey you have started! I will be wishing you fair weather, fewer hiccups, and a wonderful safe excursion. Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete