Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mirages in the Desert

As my trusted copilot takes on captain duties, I have a chance to hang out with computer and it's exceptional battery life. Before hitting the road, my brother spruced up this machine with a Streets and Trips program. So far it's been a great asset as LaundroMat and Kirforce decide where they want to stop. Today's best example was when we decided to add Zion National Park to our lists of places to stay.

Right now we're traveling up the longest, straightest grade I've ever seen. Unlike the twisted switchbacks of a good Pacific Northwest pass, this one just goes on and on, up and up. We hit the road from San Jose around 7 AM this morning. I've finally left the Bay Area for the final time... by car... in the foreseeable future. I'll be back in Palo Alto in a month for wedding number four of 2010, and the second one that I'm representing at the altar.

Mat says we've reached the apex of the pass. We're considering stopping for slots in Vegas, but we don't want to miss a spectacular sunset in Zion. Oh the other great thing about adding Zion to our destinations is that we gain two more states. The total state count is sixteen on this trip, the majority of which are new to me.

Ok my navigator duties are being requested, so I must sign off. There's an unidentifiable city in the distance. Maybe it's a mirage but it looks eerily similar to Vegas, and we've noted a large increase in the proportion of mafia cars on the road.

Mileage today: 700
Total mileage count: 2500

No comments:

Post a Comment