Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pete and Repete

Pete and Repete were on a boat, Pete fell off, who was left? Pete and Repete were on a boat, Pete fell off, who was left?.....

After being here for nearly two months, things have started repeating themselves. I have my favorite mixed CDs in the ancient and skip-prone CD changer. I've eaten the same romaine, carrot, onion, parsley, cauliflower, citrus balsamic salad the past 4 days. And I maintained the 5th place standings (out of the ladies) in Town Series, although the tequila is getting less enjoyable each week.

I did switch things up in my routine, officially "bumming it" on Tuesday. I had scheduled two volunteer commitments, which I apologized for missing via email as I headed to the mountain to enjoy a little fresh snow. (Great day!) Dog-sitting duties are over. Two visitors coming in this weekend (my mom and her friend), and then I'm heading East next weekend. Exciting times!

Although looking forward I'm enthusiastic about upcoming events, I can't help but look back. Annual events remind me of days of yore, and remind me that I'm not able to enjoy the celebrations from afar. Times they are a changing. I just hope that I reach a point when I'm able to get back and reunite with moments of the past and forever friends: a sixteenth birthday party at a hotel (10 years ago!), a state ski tournament, a St. Patrick's Day in DC, a St. Patrick's Day in Revelstoke, a street fair in Japantown, a limo in Sonoma, a "das boot" at Suppenkuche.

As the summer rolls around, I'll be reminded of more great adventures over the Fourth of July (Lake Washington, Island Lake, Mendocino, Hotel California), Bay to Breakers, Celebration Weekend, Tahoe, Yosemite, half marathon. I keep hearing about the summers here and how amazing they are, but I can't help thinking, "It's not about where you are, but with who you are enjoying your time."

And on that note, please visit! I miss you! Yes, you!

The radio station is off the air (midnight shutdown apparently). Tomorrow I have a statistics exam, an airport shuttle, and a license plate pickup on the schedule, and that's all before an afternoon/closing shift at the cafe. Espresso, steamed milk, repeat.

3 comments:

  1. It's always a good idea to take a break in the business of life and wax nostalgic. You might consider running a lens cleaning disc on that old CD changer. It usually brings them back to life. It's state high school hockey tournament weekend in Minnesota. Edina and Minnetonka are in the semi-finals. For a change we have wind and rain instead of the usual last snowstorm of winter. Enjoy the mountain! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you can always come visit!! We miss you in the Bay Area ... and you are right, it is more the 'who' than the 'what' that means the most!! Keep on enjoying the present while relishing the memories of the past. Soon (too soon!) the present will be what you can only look back upon. Love, AC

    ReplyDelete
  3. finally catching up on this - miss you, kirsten! we're still looking forward to a summer camping visit if you're game...

    ReplyDelete