Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pleased to meat you

So. I have a confession. Family and friends get ready.

I've been consuming animal products.

Not just the occasional cheese or milk.

Let's take a step back. So I've been mostly vegan for 10 years. It started as a class project. I researched the health incentives of eating a plant-based diet and the complications of the US food industry (corn subsidy, yikes!). Adding to that I like planet Earth (use your water resources responsibly) and appreciate animals (let's give them some space, not pump them with hormones and let them naturally fertilize their grazing grounds, thanks).

I've successfully survived navigating menus and declining delicacies in Europe (Italy was a pretty easy home base, France and Hungary were the biggest challenges), visits to the Midwest, family gatherings, weddings, travels to Latin America, India and Zambia.

But I've found myself being less confident in my response to "why vegan" over the past year. I'm mostly concerned with the environmental impacts of our diets; luckily, so are other consumers, which has improved the access to local and sustainable animal-product food sources. North Carolina has epic barbecue (so I've heard) and fresh crab on the coast (so I've tasted). After I slid off the wagon and made the decision to partake in a crab boil in May 2011, I saddled back up and maintained the no meat and mostly no dairy/egg through the next year.

Then I tried some sushi before my departure to Tanzania. And it's been a downward spiral since then.

Before arriving in Tanzania, I created a number of goals for the impact I wanted to have this summer and the things that I wanted to accomplish. One of those bullets was to evaluate my vegan lifestyle. I explained to coworkers that I was mostly vegan, so meals in and with the office have always incorporated vegetarian options. In social settings, dining is definitely more about the experience than consuming food. Sampling all of the dishes is the most respectful way to show your appreciation. I've felt the vegan guilt throughout the last 10 years, but it's even harder when there's a communication barrier. I've found myself appearing quite rude without the capacity to explain myself.

Here's the play-by-play.

I ate ice cream.

And then eggs.

But did not consume this at a birthday buffet.

I sampled the fish here.

I did not eat this.

I resisted the urge to eat this roast at wedding in Nairobi.

And then I went to the wedding in Dar this weekend. I didn't eat meat at the reception, but...

We went to our favorite place, Jackie's Bar, where our crew chowed down on the best mishkaki (kebabs) in town. I still declined.

Insert total meat consumption breakdown. The next day I went to a poolside barbecue to celebrate a coworker's daughter's third birthday. They had chicken or beef. Those were literally the only offerings. I was starving. I ate chicken. Very tasty with the pilipili (pepper) sauce. Then I ate beef. Then they had fish, and I ate that too. I proceeded to eat meat all afternoon/evening.

How did I feel? Very satisfied and not sick at all. It won't be a common practice back in the states because I still can't afford the high quality cuts that I'd want to invest in if I was going to put something in my belly, but I will definitely take a special event into consideration.

Yesterday I had fruit and chapati for breakfast; lentil dal with rice and naan for lunch; fruit and veggies for dinner. Evidence that I'm still primarily vegetarian and vegan, so don't start celebrating.

But I'm warning you that you might not recognize my plate at some future gathering. Pleased to meat you!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It should comfort you to know that your 10-year vegan discipline caused those close to you to give more thought to what would otherwise have been rather indiscriminate consumption. Welcome back to the way less complicated world of omnivores! Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It's nice to hear someone articulate the cultural and ecological factors that play into thoughtful meat-eating. In a country where meat hasn't always been overly abundant, there are cultural norms that you are still adjusting to, and that is separate from the U.S. commercial meat industry, I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meat is so tasty and good for you. Welcome back, even if it is only part time! We'll have some delicious PNW salmon when you come home in September. AnneMom

    ReplyDelete