Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Chancing dances

So the blog title becomes relevant once again.

Over the weekend I got my dance on. I wasn't really planning on it. In fact, I really tried to not be in the situation that I found myself in.

Friday night was tame after the pre-wedding party. Rest and recovery. Saturday night was a different story.

I went to our favorite bar with my favorite coworker for some Ballantine's whiskey (error 1). Then to a new Brazilian Churrasco restaurant (I got the veggie discount). Then back to the bar. And then the night got really wild. My lack of Swahili was a bit annoying at the bar (forced to chat with a really "patriotic" Tanzanian), a little frustrating at dinner (3rd wheel!) and ultimately dangerous after that. I reached the max Mzungu on display tolerance level. This party was a rented out venue on the beach with only Tanzanians in attendance, and I had no idea what part of town we were in (error 2). People were pretty aggressive,  and I wasn't having any fun. So I tried to escape (error 3), got a little ambitious in my capacity to get a ride somewhere (error 4) and ultimately was told I needed to wait until a group of my coworker's friends were leaving. So I sat and sulked: Kiki crisis.

But wait, the young Tanzanian ladies that my coworker connected me with flipped my world and completely adjusted my attitude. They were so nice and welcoming; they saved my entire weekend! It helped that we went to a Mzungu club (note that it is now 2 AM) with nostalgic American Top 40 hits and a great view of the ocean... not to mention some good people watching. The girls tried to teach me how to shake it, but I really don't think I'm built the same way that they are built. Like my body does not physically make those movements.

I was dropped off by my five new friends at my doorstep as the sun came up. Granted I flaked on my plans to go to a beach on an island, but I managed to get up to a beach on the mainland and watch a bunch of folks kite surf. My friend let me fly her small kite for a bit, which I managed to plow into the beach a few times. I quit before I did any permanent damage to the kite or the kids playing on the beach. Maybe next time I'll be brave enough to get in the water with it.

No real plans for this upcoming weekend, just getting ready for the next week when I head up to Nairobi on Thursday (enter 13+ hour bus ride)! And then there's a 4th of July reception that the US Embassy is throwing on Wednesday next week (yeah, I know, it's not the 4th of July until the next week, but I guess we're a little eager). And before that I'll attend my 3rd HASH and get my Dar name, although I'm not sure it can beat She Shooters She Scores. I can't even describe how different the routes are here. Last week we went through a seriously low income area with tiny alleyways and kids sandwiched between us, yelling "On On!"

2 comments:

  1. Certainly more exciting than a water-logged Saturday night in Moose Lake. Wish you were here! Have a great early 4th!
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. More, more, I want more! I love reading about your adventures and it's all so well written. Thank you Whitman College :-).
    AnneMom

    ReplyDelete