Friday, June 15, 2012

Pre-wedding party

So weddings are a big deal here. They are definitely a display of a family's wealth, but they are also the opportunity to keep up traditional celebrations. I was fortunate enough to be invited to witness the pre-wedding party of a colleague's friend's sister. This took place on a Thursday night. We arrived a bit late, but we were quickly ushered to a banquet table in a large hall with about 300 people. Unlike the mood-setting ambiance of American weddings, the place was brightly lit, so I could really take it all in.

We were served endless bottles of beer (I made the commitment to Serengeti lager and was not disappointed). Family members addressed the bride, wishing her well. One of her sister's served as her sidekick throughout the evening, standing and sitting in front of the crowd in glamorous royal blue gowns with lots of glitz.

The celebrations moved into a buffet dinner (incredible eats) and a chance for different groups of people (work friends, family, former classmates) to go up together (usually dancing in a line), present the bride with gifts and wish her well on her wedding.

One thing I really liked about this event was that people dressed in the same color scheme. I was wondering how everyone knew to wear red and gold (the bride and her sisters were very unique in their blue dresses), but I noticed that the invitation featured a red background with gold printing. Ah ha!

One thing I didn't like so much is that it went until after 12 and we bopped around a bit afterward, which made for a rough day in the office. And I think I'm getting sick.

But, it was a great experience. I was one of two white guests, so I definitely stuck out, but I think I represented the Mzungu population well!


1 comment:

  1. No matter where you go, you manage to find wedding activities to attend! It sounds like you had a good time. Perhaps the morning-after discomfort was from the beer and not from some exotic food-born bug. Here's hoping you are feeling better!
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete