Monday, August 13, 2012

Outta time

"I'm outta time and all I got is 4 minutes, 4 minutes, hey!"

This post is inspired by and reminiscent of my time at Sunset when I "starred" in a parody video for this song with my amazingly creative coworker, RJ. I'm feeling really nostalgic these days.

Tick, tock, tick, tock.

I'm outta time. This is my last week in the office, and I will fly out of Dar next Monday evening.

This is truly truly my last chance dance, and I'm taking it all in. When I return to Duke, I will return to a full calendar of incredible events and club activities. A full academic year of interesting and engaging classes. A full incoming group of first years. But half of my Durham life won't be there to welcome me home. Beyond the cultural shift, I think that the mass exodus of my supporting network will be the most shocking realization.

It's easy to get ahead of myself and think about the ultimate termination of this unbelievable adventure that has been business school. I have traveled around the world with classmates and friends. I have created intimate networks in places I never imagined. I have struggled to maintain a sense of my past life, and I must apologize to those whom I've neglected as I've pursued these self-centered dreams and ambitions. Those of you that have offered your unrelenting love and enthusiasm from afar despite my missing important life events, I am so appreciative of your support.

But I need to focus on the present. Put my eye on the prize and chug along. A lot can (and will) happen in a week.

Instead of "lasts" I'm continuing to pursue "firsts" here in Dar.

  • On my plate: Prosciutto, hamburger, whole fried fish, sushi, fondue skewers (octopus, lobster, prawns). Remember when I was a vegan? Weird. 
  • On the beach: Ferry to Kipepeo on the south side of Dar, roadtrip to Bagamoyo 40 km to the north. 
  • At the office: Wrapping up my projects and rolling out my plan to the market.
What will this last week bring? Hopefully not too much stress. I don't want my return to be a reality check because I feel like I've been living a reality. But, it's true, it's an alternative reality. The reality I've experienced here is so different than the reality of school. 

My ills: I'm fearing a "does not compute" and figurative screen of death upon my return. My car will definitely be dead, and its plates are definitely expired. I haven't walked on carpet in more than 90 days. I wouldn't say that I look like I've lived in Africa (longer hair, not particularly sun-kissed and definitely not nutrient-deficient, I bet my blood pressure has increased with my return to animal products).

My thrills: I'm really excited about boarding a plane (not a bus), sleeping in a bed (with sheets), taking warm showers (with my amazing climate curtain!), using my iPhone (with Siri), eating BBQ and salmon (before I make an effort to go back to the green side), hugging my friends, riding my bike and running.

My mixed emotions: I never went to Zanzibar (although there's still technically time), and I didn't climb Kili. I will miss the vibe here: food, music, dance. I felt like the things that I did here mattered: to my coworkers, to our customers, to the people I met. I feel like the things I do in school don't have the same instant pleasure. I hope that I can resolve these conflicting feelings without backpedaling. 

"Time is waiting, we only got four minutes to save the world, no hesitating!"

1 comment:

  1. So what's the problem if you end up backpedaling a bit? You will need to give your own batteries as well as those in your Ford a little time to recharge when you get back. You will have tons of time later to be productive. Enjoy! Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete