Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Long Time Coming

Five years ago. I was determined to become a ski bum after graduating from Whitman College. What better place to bum it up than Sun Valley, Idaho? My family had a great condo there, I loved the mountain, and I had a few friends in the area from college. That's the plan; that's what I'm doing.

Fast forward a year. I happened to be in the right place at the right time with the right connection to get a full-time job in Menlo Park, California. It was early summer 2006. I couldn't pass up paying work and great experience for slacker life on the slopes... it wasn't even winter! So I moved to Santa Clara, and then San Mateo, and then Mountain View, and then another place in Mountain View, and then San Francisco, spending three and a half years in the Bay Area.

March 2009 - December 2009. I start thinking about Business School. Take the GMAT, submit apps to 5 schools, and get accepted to my top choice! I want to go into renewable energy, on a global scale. A combined MBA and Masters in Environmental Management will get me there.

January 2010. I up and leave my deep, supportive, fun, amazing network and life in San Francisco for Sun Valley, Idaho. This is my "Last chance, ski bum dance." I'm feeling old (25), but I can still pull this off. Plus I have new focus: complete three prerequisite courses, get some experience working for a nonprofit with my philosophy, work part-time to pay the bills, and, of course, ski. (I'm 3 for 4 at the time of this post.)

Follow this blog to hear about my Pre-grad school ~ post San Francisco experience.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I finally get an update on your life! Wow, Idaho, I'm so happy you're getting to live out your ski bum dream! We definitely need a phone date so I can get more details, but glad I now have your blog to read to get some of the info since we've both been so busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Kirforce! It will be fun enviously following your ski bum/student/volunteer life. Also, good to see you putting your putting your undergraduate writing skills to use :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, Kirsten! What fun following your 'ski bum dance' blog ... we can all live vicariously! See you soon at Sage Haven ... keep the fires burning!

    ReplyDelete